Fort Sylvia was formerly known as Fort Kapit. It was built in 1980 by the Brooke administration from belian (ironwood) timbers to keep the peace and control on the upper Rejang. In 1925 the third Rajah renamed the Fort to Fort Sylvia in honour of his wife the
Ranee Sylvia. After independence it served as the District Office and courthouse. In 1997 it was declared a historical building and is now a Museum and training Centre for artists, weavers and artisans in Kapit District by the Tan Jugah foundation.
Photographer.. Brian Houldershaw Dated.. C. June/ July 1964